Thursday, September 18, 2014

Ecotourism vs. Local Development

This is a tendency well described but not well data recorded, for the industry of the Eco-tourism. Several (sometimes remote) regions that have and are exploiting their natural environment as a touristic destination, are not really perceiving the profits of this business, contributing to the unsustainable use of their resources.

Possible explanations are:

  • These businesses don´t belong to locals, who are slightly hired or involved to provide the goods and services offered to tourists. 
  • Most of the employees are locals but their wage is expended outside the region either for availability and/or quality of the products.
  • The government has given priority to forein operators, whom have displaced the local businesses and captured the highest percentage of income.

2 comments:

  1. I really like this topic, be careful however not to refer this as a correlation. I think the assignment was to use a correlation specifically, double check this if you like. For the rest, maybe expand on your explanations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Diana,
    I've never thought about this puzzle and therefore I found it really interesting. I wish I could had some more explanations or perhaps some examples, anyway I think you provided very reasonable explanations for it.
    The one that convinced me the most is the first one. Indeed I believe this is what often happens in many countries: tourist companies selling themselves as local and as supporting locals that simply do not belong to the territory, and, according to your data, thato do not sponsor local economy.

    ReplyDelete