Sunday, October 5, 2014

RETHINKING FRIEDMAN PROPOSITION

My former ideas on the Friedman proposition were enriched by the document “Not Business As Usual”. I really liked to acknowledge there are different kinds of businesses with a strong social goal, which are profiting as much or even better than conventional businesses. Because of this emergent wave, the later will be forced to adapt to not project a bad image

Reading a college´s post made me interpret the quote in a different way, still faithful to my point of view. Businesses don´t have to have social responsibility in terms of using profits to fund charity or other social funds. This is a very complex issue, in which there will always be an unhappy shareholder or simply a focal or general discontent. Still they must reflect this social responsibility through their internal policies and practices. By doing so, increasing profits wouldn´t be wrong (as stated by Friedman, 1970) but would even maximize itself.   


I would use Granovetter (1985) as a reference to support the fact that economy and society are connected aspects. I would add that therefore an increasing profit should be proportional to the social spheres related to this.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Diana,
    The way you rephrase the quote by Friedman about the 'business of business is to increase its profits', it’s a bit confusing to me. I would suggest you to explain further, maybe by giving some examples that you captured from the video.

    ReplyDelete